Gemini Ganesan started his filmy career with Miss Malini in 1947, but was noticed only after his villainous performance in Thai Ullam in 1953. His handsome looks and charming attitude soon got him a slew of offers and Gemini Ganesan soon earned the title `Kadhal Mannan’ (King of Romance). In his long film career spanning over five decades, Gemini Ganesan acted in more than 200 films, including Telugu, Tamil, Hindi, Malayalam, and Kannada. Gemini Ganesan’s personal life, particularly his marriage to multiple women over the years, has often been a subject of criticism.
Popularly known as the romantic hero, Gemini Ganesan, at 19, married Alamelu, and whom he fondly called ‘Boubji’. Alamelu and Gemini Ganesan have four daughters; three of them – Revathi, Kamala and Jayalakshmi – are medical doctors ,the fourth Narayani is a journalist.
Later Gemini Ganesan married Savitri. Savitri and Gemini Ganesan have two children- a daughter Vijaya Chamundeswari, who is a physiotherapist, and has been the part of few movies and Gemini Ganesan has only son Satheesh Kumar.
Gemini Ganesan has two daughters with Pushpavalli- Rekha who went on to become a famous Bollywood actor, and Radha.
In October 1998, Gemini Ganesan married Juliana Andrews. His fourth and last wife Juliana, whom he married at an age of 78, was then a 36-year-old woman.
Gemini Ganesan was survived by seven daughters and a son.
When Savitri fell sick and went into coma, Alamelu took in Savitri’s children and visited her in hospital. When Savitri died, Alamelu brought her body back to her house in Chennai and held the funeral.
Despite the many women in his life, Alamelu was the pillar of strength for Gemini Ganesan till he passed away on 22nd March 2005.
Dulquer Salmaan essayed the role of Gemini Ganesan in Nag Ashwin’s Mahanati, whereas Keerthy suresh played the titular role.
Some Interesting Trivia about Gemini Ganesan
- He was born as Ramaswamy Ganesan on 17 November, 1920 to a typical Brahmin family in Tamil Nadu.
- From a teacher’s job at Madras Christian College, where he did his graduation, he later joined the production department of Gemini Studios and eventually became known as ‘Gemini Ganesan’.
- He made his debut in 1947 with ‘Miss Malini’ that starred his future wife Pushpavalli. His first major success as a lead actor was ‘Manampol Mangalyam’ in 1953.
His first Bollywood movie was the hit ‘Miss Mary’ in which he was paired opposite Meena Kumari.
- In 1988, he was seen in the critically accalimed Telugu movie ‘Rudraveena’ that starred Chiranjeevi and Shobana.
- His most memorable movies are ‘Naan Avan Illai’, ‘Kalathur Kannamma’, ‘Vanjikottai Valiban’, ‘Then Nilavu’, ‘Konjum Salangai’, and ‘Avvai Shanmughi’. He starred beside Sivaji Ganesan in ‘Veerapandiya Kattabomman’.
- He made his last appearance in the 2002 flick which was interestingly called ‘Gemini’. It had Vikram and Kiran Rathod in the lead.
- Known as “Kadhal Mannan” King of Romance for the characters he essayed on screen, Gemini Ganesan was involved with four women. He was officially married to Alamelu and later married Pushpavalli and Savitri.
- His pairing with Savithri onscreen was widely loved and they went on to become a hit couple. In his later years, he married Julianna who was younger to him by 42 years. He has eight children, including Bollywood actress Rekha from Pushpavalli.
- After starring in more than 200 movies, the actor passed away on 22 March, 2005 due to renal failure. His funeral was a major state event and was attended by several distinguished people, including late CM Jayalalithaa.