It is well known that Kabali and Kaala director Pa. Ranjith will be directing a period film in Hindi and the script work is currently under progress. Sources say that Ranjith is planning to rope in a leading Bollywood actor for his Hindi film.
Reports also say that Pa. Ranjith will be directing a biopic on late glam queen Silk Smitha.
Sources say that biopic will be a web series and Ranjith is only taking care of the writing department. Ranjith feels that Hindi film ‘Dirty Picture’ is not an authentic biopic of Silk Smitha and his version will reveal untold stories of the actress.
The web series is likely to be streamed on a leading OTT and the Kabali director will soon make an official announcement on his two interesting projects.
The marvelous rise and mysterious demise of the actress
South Film industry is known for its bold yet glamorous divas who have rocked the Indian Cinema for decades. A name that comes out of the rubbles is that of Silk Smitha. Popularly known for her erotic and sensually charismatic image, we look back at a glimpse of her life on her 21th death anniversary.
We present the rise of this southern beauty and her sudden demise in the following 10 points.
1. Silk Smitha’s reel named was Vijayalakshmi Vadlapati and was born to father Ramallu and mother Sarasamma, in Eluru in Andhra Pradesh. She left school after class four due to family financial constraints.
2. She started her filmy career by from a touch-up artist of a bold star out of which she bagged small roles south films.
3. Silk was discovered by director Vinu Chakravarthy in South cinema after which she established herself as one of the most well known erotic actresses in the industry.
4. She made her acting debut in 1978 Kananda film ‘Bedi’. She got her fame break in 1979 ‘Vandichakkaram’ in which she portrayed the character of Silk.
5. In 80’s, due to her marked sex appeal, she acted in more than 450 films including many South Indian films. She was also seen in Kamal Haasan-Sridevi-starrer Hindi film ‘Sadma’ and also starred in Hindi Cinema like ‘Jeet Hamari’ and ‘Jaani Dosti’ in 1983.
6. She did many item numbers in films likes ‘Vandichakkaram’ as a bar girl named as a silk, ‘Justice Raja’, ‘Kiratham’, ‘Antham’, ‘Mafia’, ‘Lockup Death’, ‘Gentalman Security’, ‘Karma’, ‘Coimbatore Mappillai’, and ‘ Subash’ – her last film which was released in 1996.
7. She worked a three shift daily, for one song she would charge only 50k. South superstars like Sivaji Ganesan, Rajnikanth, Kamal Haasan, Chiranjeevi also insisted silk to do atleast one song for their film.
8. Despite lavish earnings Silk faced a downfall after she She stopped taking advise of close friend and producer which cost her a whooping Rs 2 crores in her first two productions. Her third film did not even manage to complete. Due to this she suffered from mental distress.
9. Caught in depression, Silk committed suicide on September 23, 1996 at her Chennai apartment. She hanged herself from the ceiling fan at her residence. The news shocked the entire South industry. However, people speculated that the reason behind her death was something else.
10. In 2011, Vidya portrayed one of the most bold characters cherished in Indian cinema. Entertainment…Entertainment…Entertainment… became the mouth piece as Silk Smitha was recreated in Milan Luthria’s The Dirty Pictures. Vidya was applauded for her daring performance that won many hearts.
The award winning actress says the film is not based on Silk Smitha’s life but is inspired by her.
“The film is not based on Silk Smitha but is inspired by her life. It is about a dancing star…dancing stars were popular back then in 1980s..there used to be item songs in that period. And Silk was number one in that period. There were other colleagues of Silk like Disco Shanti,Nylon Nandini, Polyester Padmini and others but Silk was first of her kind. Hence, the name of the film character is Silk,” Vidya said in a interview.
Categories: News Trend